Everything I've Done

Honestly my feelings at this point about the whole situation here are pretty much swinging towards the Palestinian side but I would rather not discuss fully on my blog so if you have questions feel free to contact me! This far we have done so many things so here is a list and description of everything!

1. The church of the nativity- This is the church that was built over the spot where Jesus was born in Bethlehem. There are 3 different churches that technically have ownership here; the Armenians, the Greeks and the Catholics. Seeing the physical spot where Jesus was born was not as spiritual as I thought it would be. Not to discredit the holiness of the site, I'm just saying it felt a lot more touristy than I expected it to. Although, I do realize now that I will never read the Christmas story the same. Also I learned that where baby Jesus was born was not a random manger because there was no room in the inn, it was Joseph's family house and manger.
2. The Shepherds fields- This was the place where the shepherds were watching their flocks by night when an angel appeared to them and gave them the news of Christ's birth. Seeing this gave me a very peaceful feeling because I had this stirring in my heart that told me that something special had happened right where I was standing. There was also a church built here which, again, made it feel sort of touristy but I understood why it was there.
3. Where Jesus was crucified and the Roman road- This was by far one of my favorite places to see so far. We got to actually walk the path that Jesus carried his cross on and stop at every significant point on the road. Seeing all the history that is still preserved in the old city Jerusalem was truly amazing. As a christian, this was such an important thing for me to see and experience first hand because it reminded me what it really means to be a follower of Christ and take up my cross daily. We get to go back to old city soon and I am looking forward to it so much.
4. The wall (Bethlehem side)- This was one of the first things we saw and it honestly it made me very sad for the people that have to live with the everyday situation. But it also let me see how hopefully the Palestinians are. This was kind of a shock to me because before arriving here I really didn't know much about the conflict going on here but this far I feel a lot more educated and aware of what's going on here.
5. Aida camp- For 3 days we visited this refugee camp and learned about the people there and also got to learn about their community center called Alrowwad where they do tons of great work. Alrowwad does a lot of work for the kids of the community including hosting camps where the kids can learn photography, dance, sports, theatre , radio, reading and more. One of these camps is what we helped out with in our time spent there. We also got to help sand and paint wooden blocks for the kids to play with. I loved spending time here because the kids were so friendly and the adults seemed to love having us. I also learned so much while I was there including how to make a traditional Palestinian dessert and a traditional Palestinian dance!
6. Holy Land Trust- This place is by far my favorite place to spend time at. Andy had spent a lot of time working with this business to help work towards peace in the Holy Land. They have a restaurant called Jivana cafe and i love going there to enjoy the WiFi and eat delicious food.
7. Dome of the Rock- We went to visit this Islamic Holy mosque in Jerusalem that overlooks the mount of olives. The mosque was absolutely beautiful and it is on the land that Muslims believe Muhammad traveled there during his teachings.
8. Yad Vashem- This is the holocaust museum in Israel. It was a good educational experience and just kind of reiterated the horrible things that happened to the Jew's. I do have some opinions on why the museum is placed where it is but that's another personal discussion you can feel free to talk to me about.
9. Beit Sahour- Our guest house that we have been staying at in located in a small town called Beit Sahour right outside of Bethlehem. This place is really wonderful and the food has been excellent. I am definitely going to miss this place when we leave.

Overall this trip has done amazing things for my Faith and I have learned so much about the history here (shoutout to Andy for his history lesson about the entire middle east) and I cannot wait to keep learning more. It feels like we have been here a longer than we have, but at the same time the time has flown by. There has definitely been some anxiety filled moments; i.e. losing my passport in the Israeli airport... yeah i thought I was done for, and losing my glasses.... its okay I am getting more, but overall I love this place and I wouldn't change it for the world. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me and supporting me!

Comments

Popular Posts